DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Internist/homeopath
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor/homeopathy medical and homeopathic approaches to skin disorders.
24257177

Have a spot/sore on the base of my penis - just wondering

Customer Question

Have a spot/sore on the base of my penis - just wondering what it may be. Had intercourse about 10 days with a new partner, but assumed them to be relatively safe from how long I've known them. I have a pic if that's helpful. Just hoping to establish if it's an STI or something like follicultis. Thanks!
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

Let s see the pic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, the pic on the left is from today, the one on the right is from a couple days ago (different lighting obviously). Notably, what I thought was a small scratch, or raised area, above the actual opening (seen on the pic to the right - quite small but a slightly raised area) was a white hair that popped out today - which can now be seen prominently in the picture on the left. I don't know - still nervous because of timing since it all started within 2 days of the activity. Nevertheless, it's still an opening at the base.
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

Mild folliculitis

Healing.

If this happens again have it swabbed.

Get a serum test for herpes in 3 weeks.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As a final follow-up (hopefully), is the test merely because of the encouter and for general sexual health/safety purposes, or is mild-folliculitis an indicator of a potential issue?
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

merely a precaution.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.