Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist
Experience:  Senior Consultant MBBS DNB (DVD)
25843817

My son is 8 years old, healthy, with no underlying

Customer Question

My son is 8 years old, healthy, with no underlying illnesses. Around 2 months ago, he developed 3 small red bumps on his wrist that looked like contact dermatitis. After a week or so they grew slightly bigger, raised, looked like they were filled with
fluid, with a flat top. I assumed they were warts of some kind, but weren't concerned as he said they were not painful or itchy. A few weeks later, he developed 3 more on his inner thigh and groin. At this point, due to concern over the new location, we brought
him to the pediatrician, who identified the bumps as molluscum contagiosum. A second pediatrician confirmed this diagnosis. His doctor was not concerned, said they would go away on their own in a few months, and did not recommend treatment. He advised my son
to keep his hands and those areas clean, and to try not to scratch. A few weeks more has passed and now son now has 6 on his arm, and 6 on his groin and thigh, so I'm concerned that they are spreading. He says they sometimes hurt, or are bothersome and he
occasionally scratches without knowing. A few appear to have scabbed over; I don't know if this is because they have broken open from scratching or because they are healing. Googling this virus brings up many alternative treatments, from cutting them open
and removing the virus core to applying apple cider vinegar or tea tree oil topically. Anecdotal evidence suggest that we may not be looking just at a few months until healing, but more like years, and that the virus can spread all over the body, possibly
moving quickly from a few blisters to dozens. Is there something we can do other than wait, in order to prevent the spread of this virus before it becomes much worse or noticeable to others. Is there a treatment you would recommend? Should we be cleaning the
area in a special way? Is there any topical or nutritional/dietary treatment? Do you recommend seeing a dermatologist? Thank you.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Could you send me a photo of the condition at your convenience?

You can upload the photo on www.photobucket.com and send me the link

Other method of uploading photo or a file is:

1.Click the paperclip icon

2.Click the Browse icon

3.Click the Browse button

4.Select your file and click Open

5.Click OK

6.Click Insert

7.Click Save Changes on this page

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached two photos. Please let me know if there is any other information you need.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Does any white cheesy material come out from the area?

Does he go for swimming?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you apply direct pressure to one of the nodules a white roundish center comes out along with some blood. He says it's painful to do that. I was hesitant to "drain" them due to fear of contamination/spreading of the virus inside. I cleaned the area with Betadine.Is there something we can do to clean the area or keep it from spreading? Do you recommend removing the white inside?Yes, he does go swimming occasionally.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

I wouldn't recommend you to drain them by yourself.

This can definitely spread the infection . This definitely looks like viral molluscum contagiosum.

It should be removed by the dermatologist.

Swimming pool is a very common source of this infection.

Have you heard of Imiquimod cream or have you tried this cream to heal the area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you recommending he visit a dermatologist to have the bumps cut off, and treat with a prescription? I understood that for children, leaving it alone was the best treatment because curettage is painful and can cause scarring.
Also I'd rather not use a drug to treat since he is so young, unless that is the last or best option.
I really wanted to know if there is anything topical/natural or any way of treating at home that wouldn't involve drugs or surgery.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried Apple Cider Vinegar?