DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Internist/homeopath
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor/homeopathy medical and homeopathic approaches to skin disorders.
24257177

We have been struggling with my 5 year old to a month now.

Customer Question

We have been struggling with my 5 year old for close to a month now. It first started with a red bump on his eyebrow with a dark almost blank center. Looking back I remember it had a pitted appearance like Molluscum Contagiosum. He had it for about a week, no pain, no problem before he somehow scratched the black "scab" off. Two days later the area which had been just a bump was now swollen and red and he complained that it hurt when pressing on it. A quick trip to the pediatrician and they prescribed Penicillin for a skin infection. The bump did not improve until the 5th day and though it was significantly smaller by day 7 it was still visible.(On day 5 of Penicillin he developed small raised white bumps--blister like--very itcy but not painful on areas exposed to grass--front of arms and legs--he rolled around in it. It spread lightly up to his thighs. After a week no improvement). Another trip to the pediatrician for the original bump on the eyebrow and we were prescribed Mupirocin. He looked at the secondary rash and said it looked like heat rash. The Mupirocin worked quickly and although other new areas around the eyebrow were showing redness I was told to continue treatment on the original and new areas for 7 days. 4 days into treatment with the cream we visited the ER for an apparent case of Serum Sickness to the original Penicillin. 4 days of a steriod cleared up the hives and the small blister like secondary rash. ) I was told to continue the Mupirocin. After 7 days all but tiny redness was gone and swelling was all gone. The area started to peel slightly over the course of the next 5 days.
WELL, 5 days ago (about a week after he stopped Mupirocin) I noticed more pronounced redness in the original area of the eyebrow. It slightly grew and became a tiny bump. I decided on my own accord to start to reapply Mupirocin. I have been doing this for 6 days now with tiny improvements in color but the tiny bump remains.
TWO days ago I noticed a colorless raised rash on this shoulder blade. I ignored it. Today the rash is all over the top of his back from shoulder to shoulder. He complains it itches and it looks just like the bumps he got from playing in the grass or heat rash as the pedi described it. But he hasn't been playing in the grass though he does play outside during recess at school. I am at a loss now at what to do. I am worried the original bump became infected with staph and that it is stubborn bacteria...I'm at a loss as what this new rash is that keeps recurring. He has never suffered from any type of rashes though he does suffer from seasonal allergies.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Sorry about this long history. He may need another short course of prednisolone so please get prescription. Also please get swab from lesion tested in bacteriology lab for culturing any bacteria. Please post a picture or two of the lesions described. Meanwhile start cetirizin or loratadine for allergy also.

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Please attach a picture here and I will help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I had another dermatologist in mind. Do you mind opening the question back up?