Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I have a small recurring pimple looking thing on my upper

Customer Question

I have a small recurring pimple looking thing on my upper lip. On occasion it fills with a pasty puss and can be expelled, it reduces temporarily but usually returns. My partner is concerned about herpes but I think it's either a pimple or even a sebaceous cyst. I think it began with an ingrown hair. Do I need to worry.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

If this is a single lesion then herpes is extremely unlikely. It sounds much more like a sebaceous cyst or pseudofolliculitis due to an ingrown hair; pimples do not usually coming exactly on the same spot. I would suggest applying 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide gel twice a day on the bump for 2-3 weeks to see if that helps; you can buy it over the counter. If the bump is because of Pseudofolliculitis it will help, not so if it is a Sebaceous Cyst. A Sebaceous Cyst would need to be surgically removed.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.