Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I've got a beard burn on my chin from an unfortunate kissing

Customer Question

Hi, I've got a beard burn on my chin from an unfortunate kissing session. The skin was red and then peeled off and weeping. I moisturised it with dermaid and it seemed to be getting worse. I'm now drying it out with salt and water. It happened on Saturday and its now Thursday. What else can I do to speed up the healing process? I can't wear makeup and have had to take time off work. Should I be drying it out? It still has existing skin on it that is tender. I have tried to softly remove but it is too fresh.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Added photo
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

Okay so your sore looks like a bacterial skin infection called Impetigo to me. This typically presents with red, crusty lesions like you have and there may be one or multiple lesions as in your case - the condition is passed on through skin to skin contact. Impetigo responds best to prescription oral and topical antibiotics (e.g Dicloxacillin 500 mg three times a day for 5 days along with 2% Mupirocin cream twice a day on the sores for 7-10 days) and seeing your doctor for these would be the best way to go.

If you cannot see a doctor easily then I would suggest washing with a gentle soap like Dove twice a day followed by application of Bacitracin ointment on the affected areas. If the sores look better in 3-5 days then continue the regimen till they clear. Both Dove and Bacitracin are available over the counter without a prescription.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.