Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

A year now, I have been getting these small bumps in various

Customer Question

Hello, For over a year now, I have been getting these small bumps in various places of my body. The bumps are always spread out, not in a line or a group. In most cases, I never feel anything bite me for these bumps to appear. The bumps can itch sometimes
for a short while, but most of the time I don't even know it is there until I accidentally run my finger nail across my skin and all of a sudden I get struck with pain from hell. When the bump appears, it is small with a raised head. I tried squeezing the
bumps but it does not have a head so that leakage can occur - just a lot of pain. When the bump begins to lose life, sometimes the skin on the bump slightly peels (but not flake off like flaky skin). When the bump is gone, a dark spot is in its place. The
only thing that kinda works is Cortozone - it temporarily stops the itching. But nothing I put on it prevents the discoloration (dark spot) when the bump dies off, whether it is neosporin, tea tree oil, or any other ointments good for the skin. The location
of these bumps are mostly upper-body: scalp, all sides of neck, chest, shoulders, and back. I do get bumps on my pelvis and legs, but very rarely. When I am in the bed or anywhere else, I get the feeling that something is crawling on me. I look at the part
of my skin where I feel it, and I see nothing there. Then, as I am looking at the place (for example, my arm) where I feel something crawling on me but don't see anything, I feel this sharp prick/bite! Yet, I don't see anything crawling on me. So I want to
get rid of whatever is causing the bumps. Here are things I considered: 1.) Dust mites - most of the time I noticed bumps is when I wake up in the morning. Some parts of my skin feel itchy a tad bit, so I go and run my finger (not finger nail) across it. Lo
and behold I feel a bump.So I assume something is crawling on me in the bed and biting me. So I do some research and determine it must be due to dust mites or their left-behind feces that cause the bumps. So I wash all my sheets in hot water, vacuum my mattress,
spray dust mite killer, put on a hypoallergenic bed cover, and spray dust mite killer again on and around my bed. I have done this for many months now, but I still get new bumps. 2.) Bed Bugs - I only gave this a slight though, since I know it is not bed bugs.
I've had them before 3-4 years ago and the bumps I get now are not like bed bug bite bumps. I also had two pest control specialist check my room for signs of bed bugs and they found none. 3.) Allergies - The bumps do not insanely itch, so I did not assume
it was an allergy. But I considered the possibility anyway. I researched that dust mite feces can cause the skin to have an allergic reaction. So after doing the routine stated above (wash in hot water, bed cover, spray), I take allergy medicine, get in the
bed, and go to sleep. The next morning, I still have new bumps. I thought it was a food allergy. But after carefully monitoring my intake and the timing the bumps appear, there is no correlation between what I eat and when the bumps appear. I went to a dermatologist,
and I honestly didn't feel I was given the proper attention. After taking a quick glance at an old bump, he concluded it was due to my immune system fighting off something, and gave me a prescription to relieve the itching. He did not help identify the cause
of the bumps and how to fix it. Can you please help me with this very annoying problem?? It is destroying my life.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are some pictures of the bumps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a picture of the bump when it starts to die off. Notice the white cracked skin around the center of the bump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a picture of my skin when the bump completely goes away - it leaves a dark spot where the bump used to be, leaving my skin with many dark spots.
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.
I have reviewed your photos.
It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?
Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.
At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.
The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.
I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.
Does this make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS