Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

All except one of my fingernails have ridges from cuticle to

Customer Question

All except one of my fingernails have ridges from cuticle to end & each ridge is in a cupping shape. What does it mean?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

What you had described sounds like age related longitudinal ridging of nails - this is a natural consequence of aging and seen very commonly after the fifth/sixth decade of life. The problem is harmless and not a sign of internal disease and requires no treatment. If the cosmetic appearance of the nails bothers you then sometimes taking 5 mg of Biotin everyday can be helpful. You can buy this as a tablet over the counter without a prescription and it takes 3-6 months to see improvement.
Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.