dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I'm a male and have warts around the anus! My doc gave me

Customer Question

Hey I'm a male and have warts around the anus! My doc gave me cream and said they were harmless BUT I'm worried. My question is, does hpv that cause visible warts different then the cancer causing one? :( should I be worried about these warts.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for asking your question. These warts might be harmless but I definitely would not take a chance. Some strains, specifically Type 16 and 18 are carcinogenic. My suggestion would be for your physician to swab the warts and send the culture off to the lab for a viral probe. You can then find out whether the strain is one that can cause canceer. If so, it would be important to have them treated. Also, if so, I would recommend a proctologist or GI physician who can perform anoscopy to be sure that the warts are not futher up the anus.As you may recall Farrah Fawcett died at age 62 of anal carcinoma. The leading cause of this is the wart virus, Type 16. Do, in sum, I would not assume that these warts are harmless, but would recommend taking action.

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.

I would be happy to answer further questions.

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.
I would like to add, that I routinely check with other sexually transmitted diseases when making the diagnosis of anal warts.
Which cream did your physician prescribe?