Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Physician
Experience:  14 years of Family Practice Experience including most dermatology problems
13781349

I have blistering sunburns on my shoulders; I went to a

Customer Question

Hi! I have blistering sunburns on my shoulders; I went to a walk-in clinic and the nurse practitioner prescribed triamcinolone acetonide cream for the blisters. I've applied it once, and it seems to feel better... however, I've read a few sources which say this medicine should definitely not be applied to burns.
So, I'm a little confused. Is this medicine what I should be using?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello--

I would favor a sunburn product such as a gal type with ALOE which is very helpful and soothing for sunburn. Solarcaine or similar product with a numbing agent is fine

The triamcinolone short term should be fine and helpful. I think the aside may be more specific to a burn with risk of infection (steroids may impair response to infection) with a sunburn though the skin usually remains intact --- no infection...

It should heal with few short days I would expect ..

So I think you should be fine and no need to worry about using the steroid cream in this instance

I hope that this is helpful for you Let me know if I may be of further help! I will be happy to get back with you! If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards!

Anthony Bray said