Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

24. I used to have a strong acne when I was a teenager and I

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** I used to have a strong acne when I was a teenager and I was put on a Roacutane treatment for a few months when I was 18. I then moved to Australia, and my doctor gave me for 4 months of tablets but they were confiscated at the airport because I did not have the certificate with me. Anyway, my skin was perfect, but then turned out really bad again. 6 years later, it is not as bad. I don't get pimples all over my face anymore, only on my chin. I make sure to wash my skin every morning and night, drink a lot of water, but big pimples keep appearing on my chin. I don't know what to do anymore, and it is very frustrating for the job I am doing, as I have to meet clients every so often.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

Would a photograph of the affected area be possible at your convenience?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0fpqmwxulifvh60/2015-08-07%2019.40.17.jpg?dl=0
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the photographs. What you have is known as Inflammatory Acne and this is caused due to a combination of hormonal factors, a skin bacteria, blocked pores and external factors like stress, cosmetic use, UVlight exposure, pollution and diet.

Inflammatory acne usually requires prescription meds like Doxycycline along with Epiduo and Duac gel. Roaccutane works great but needs to be taken for 4-5 months to constitute a long term cure.

If you cannot see a doctor for the above then here is an over the counter regimen that you can try:

DCL B Prox face wash - use to wash face twice a day. Lather on, leave for 15-30 seconds, and then wash off. Follow this with Ducray Keracnyl cream - this might sting a little bit for a few seconds but that’s normal. At night apply Neutrogena On the Spot Anti Acne cream over the entire affected areas 5-10 minutes after the Keracnyl cream. This should be applied as a thin layer without rubbing.

Give the regimen 2-4 weeks to work. If it helps and then you can further improve it by applying a Retinol cream like Avene Triacneal cream at night and using the Neutrogena cream in the morning. At that point you will need additional moisturizers for your skin since both products can dry/irritate the skin - Sebamed Clear Face Care Gel is a good choice. Sun protection is important and the Cetaphil Dermacontrol SPF 30 is an excellent product to use in the day time. You can continue this final regimen for as long as you like.

Try and keep the area clean shaven since hair can aggravate the problem.

Lastly dietary recommendations - cut down on dairy products, processed foods, junk foods and anything which is too sweet or oily.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.