Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I recently had protected sex 19 days ago. Yesterday (day 18)

Customer Question

I recently had protected sex 19 days ago. Yesterday (day 18) while showering, I noticed a single small cut / lesion at the base of my penis. I did not notice this before nor feel any pain down here when on previous days. Given that the condom doesn't cover the base of the penis, is it possible that this is herpes? If not, what do you think it is?
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also note, the lesion / cut was somewhat deep, a 3mm.Pictures attached.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

No I don't think this is herpes - herpes presents as small blisters and nearly always within 14 days of sexual contact in the first episode. This looks like a small skin cut possibly related to skin dryness or friction which then has some secondary bacterial infection (the yellowish crusting is usually caused by bacterial infection). I would suggest keeping the area dry and clean and applying Bacitracin ointment twice a day on it for 7-10 days. That should take care of the problem. During this time avoid masturbation and sex to give the penile skin its best chance to recover.

NOTE: Bacitracin ointment is available over the counter without a prescription.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it were herpes, would more than one lesion appear?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is what usually happens

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last question, would the herpes blister formation (before it becomes an ulcer) be painful, as in I would have noticed this before it became a cut? The reason I ask is that I had no pain nor noticed anything there until I woke up and saw the cut.It's important to note that I was engaged in heavy physical activity the days before I noticed the cut.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Yes Herpes blisters, especially when they are occurring for the first time, usually have some discomfort associated with them, often frank pain. You would have noticed the blisters.

Kindly consider rating out interaction to enable me to get credit for my work with you. You can continue to follow up even after if required. Thank you.