Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I have an itchy rash that started on my inner thights and

Customer Question

I have an itchy rash that started on my inner thights and buttocks. It is spreading up my side, and my arms. Some soreness in gland areas like groin and under my left arm. Also swelling in the tissue that I don't think is just from scratching. Skin is tight and swollen. Rash is very fine bumps and red. No fever, but I did have a bad headache in the 2 days before.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

Would a photograph of the affected area be possible at your convenience?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not really. it's red, and warm. A little bit raised but not much. No individual bumps, more of a map area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could text you a photo I guess.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately a text won't reach me as I'm not in the US. You could upload the picture here using the paper clip icon in the question box toolbar. If not lets try to do this without a photograph: how long have you had the rash for - less or more than 24 hours?

If more than 24 hours has it come and gone during that time or been persistent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
more then 24 hours. I first noticed it Thursday around 3pm. It has not come and gone. Just stayed, and spread. The forearms was new last night. it could be contact derm. from being in a hotel, an allergy to the detergents in the sheets perhaps? I'm most concerned with the swelling in the inner thigh area, and that it is spreading to my arms and under my arm. It's very itchy, but smooth to the touch. Not very bumpy at all. And the places that are swollen are very warm.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Yes contact allergic dermatitis was my first line of thought and the additional history of staying in a hotel further supports the opinion. Two other things which can present like this are - a) drug reaction to an oral or topical medication b) urticarial dermatitis (basically a special type of hives). When pain is the predominant symptom cellulitis becomes a possibility (this is an infection of the skin) and lastly sometimes a viral exanthem (skin rash in response to an underlying viral infection - e.g. sore throat, the flu etc.) can have a tight itchy red rash.

I would suggest applying Cortizone-10 ointment twice a day on the red areas and taking Tablet Claritin 10 mg twice a day. Benadryl 25-50 mg can be taken on an SOS basis as required for the itching. All of these are available over the counter. Bathe with cold water and use only a mild soap like dove or a soap free body wash for bathing. Other times stay as cool and dry as possible. If this line of treatment helps then the rash should stabilize and clear in 5-7 days, if not then you need to see a dermatologist in person to have this looked at.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.