dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Dermatologist or Wound care Only Please: It took 4 months

Customer Question

Dermatologist or Wound care Only Please: It took 4 months for me to get a wound finally down to a small size (and 3 debridements). I went to a separate wound care specialist just for an extra opinion and he stuck silver nitrate in my wound. Now, it looks
worse than ever (and it's 2 days post). All the healthy red tissue is gone and it's yellow and dead like it has been many times before. The wound is bigger now too. Did he do as much damage as it appears? He claimed he did it to get the sides to epithelialize
faster, but then he said they'll never come together anyway. How much damage did he cause and how can I reverse it? This was, in no way, hypergranulation (see the pic)...nor was it even bleeding! Please see photos here: http://imgur.com/n7oRCSK . This was
not the doctor that did the previous excision or debridement. He just met me for about 7 minutes a stuck a silver nitrate stick in my wound.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was done 5 days after my last debridement, but the doctor hardly paid any attention to what I was saying - so I don't even know if he realized that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's more photographs from before and now today at 48 hours, exactly: http://imgur.com/9xLBuAa
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. DavidI think I helped you before.there is more yellow escar there after the silver nitrate.there is healthy red granulation tissue below the yellow escardebrisment of the wound with packing or santyl can help get rid of the yellow escar and help the wound closeyou should avoid erections and sexual activity.you might benefit from a vacume wound closure or steristrips to help approximate the wound closer to help with healing.let me know if you have questions.