Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I have what looks like mosquito bites on both elbows and

Customer Question

Hi, I have what looks like mosquito bites on both elbows and a rash developing on my knees/thigh. It's worse in the evening and is very itchy. I also feel really tired / sicky and if I move too quick I become dizzy.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.Would a photograph of the affected area be possible at your convenience?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are the affected areas, with more areas becoming itchy.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the photographs. Tell me:1. Do these red, itchy, bumps/patches come and go every few hours or are they persistent? How long have you had them now?2. Did you start any new medication (e.g. antibiotic, painkiller etc.) within a few hours of this rash starting?3. Do you have any fever or a sore throat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They can last all day with some areas more itchy like my hands. Last week my fingers were swollen when I first started getting the rash. It has lasted 6days now.No medicationSore throat / feel like ive got hayfever ie runny nose.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. Your clinical picture and history are suggestive of a viral exanthem. This is a self-limiting viral infection of the skin (think of it as 'flu of the skin'). This often comes on along with a systemic viral infection and this is more than likely what is causing your weakness, dizziness, and runny nose.A regular viral exanthem resolves in 7-21 days. No particular treatment is required if the rash is asymptomatic but if it is itchy as in your case, then apply Cortizone-10 lotion twice a day on the rash and take Tab Claritin 10 mg once or twice a day - both of these are available over the counter without a prescription. Apart from that nothing particular is required and you should be just fine in a couple of weeks if not sooner.Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Has it got anything to do with my unknown allergy as it seems to clear if I take antihistamines?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Could be - antihistamines like Claritin work well for allergic rashes as well as relieving symptoms in Viral Exanthems. However if you mean the rash clears up completely within 30-60 minutes of taking an antihistamine then the rash is most like Acute Urticaria (also called hives) and these are also often caused by an underlying viral illness. Same treatment plans holds true.