Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

Im in Costa Rica I have a skin rash that started on my forearms & has spread al

Customer Question

Im in Costa Rica I have a skin rash that started on my forearms & has spread almost up to my shoulders
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for requesting me - would a photograph of the affected area be possible at your convenience?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am attaching a photo taken yesterday. The rash is skin colored/very light red & blotchy. I am having an issue adding the photo, is there an alternate way to send it to you?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
If you can transfer the photograph to your computer then the fastest way to get a picture to me is to upload it to the question box by clicking on the paper clip or tree icon in the question box toolbar. This toolbar does not display in google chrome and safari so an alternate browser may be required. You can also upload them to any free photo hosting site like picasa or photobucket and send me the link if you prefer. Or you can email the photographs to***@******.*** with my name (For Dr Nair dermatology expert) in the subject line but they usually take a few hours to forward these to me. If you choose this option please make sure you ask for an acknowledgment from JustAnswer that they have received your mail, and let me know that you have sent it. Please note that you must send this from the same email address you registered with justanswer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I emailed the pictures to you.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning,The photographs reached over the course of the night and have just seen them. A few questions if I may:Do you have circular patches of skin dryness of varying sizes? (the photographs don't show much detail)Does the rash itch?When did the rash start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No circular patches.Sometimes it will itch or get a burning sensation.The rash started about 3 days ago.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. This sounds like an allergic reaction to something that came into contact with your skin (contact allergic dermatitis - CAD).I would suggest mixing Bacitracin ointment with 1% Cortizone ointment/cream in a 1:1 ratio and applying 2-3 times a day 5 minutes after a bland moisturizer like Cetaphil. Intermittently calamine lotion (or the sarna lotion that you have) can be used as often as desired for symptomatic relief if required. You can continue the Vistaril for the itching (or take something like Claritin or Zyrtec which do not cause drowsiness like Vistaril). Stop the Vit A and lidocaine cream - both can themselves cause or worsen CAD.There are thousands of allergens which can cause CAD but unless something obvious comes up in the history (e.g lotion, cream used just before the rash began) no special precautions are required regarding avoidance besides avoiding extremes of sunlight and temperature.If the rash does not not improve at all in 7 days or so then a fungal infection like Pityriasis Versicolor will need to be considered as a possibility.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** gave me peace of mind. I head home today so I will pick up the creams. Thank you again :-)
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Most welcome! Let me know how it goes. All the best & regards :)