Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist
Experience:  Senior Consultant MBBS DNB (DVD)
25843817

I put glucolic acid around my eyes and now one of them is swollen

Customer Question

I put glucolic acid around my eyes and now one of them is swollen shut. Will this resolve on its own? I have taken benedyl and icing makes it worse.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.
Hello Welcome and Thank you for your query posted. My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern. Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service . Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information: Could you send me a photo of the condition at your convenience? You can upload the photo on www.photobucket.com and send me the link Other method of uploading photo or a file is:1.Click the paperclip icon2.Click the Browse icon3.Click the Browse button4.Select your file and click Open5.Click OK6.Click Insert7.Click Save Changes on this page Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photo on 7-23-15 at 7.43 AM.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the photo image provided. What concentration of glycolic acid did you put?You seem that have got a severe contact dermatitis causing the inflammation and swelling .You would need to apply Cortaid ointment on the area along with Bacitracin ointment twice a day for 7 days.You should also take over the counter Claritine once at night for 10days. Avoid any irritant , soaps , eye drops in the area. What was the concentration of the glycolic acid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
70%
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.
That is very high ! for around the eyes . You would definitely need the above line of treatment to heal the area faster. In our clinics we work with 20 % to maximum 35 % for around the eyes and that too a dermatologist does observe every application. Please do get back to me in case of any further queries.Please do leave a feedback for my opinion provided.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.
It would take around a week to settle. In case you have fever or any discharge coming out from the area you would need to go to the ER . So do watch out for that
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any further queries?I would be happy to assist you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't take non drowsy antihistamines. What about ice?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.
Avoid Ice application as this may cause the condition to get worse as the skin over the eyelids is very thin.icing works better for thicker skin areas and hence in your case it may be not the correct thing to do.The applications mentioned above will work wonders.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.
Do get back to me in case of any further queries. Please do leave a feedback for my opinion provided.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.
Hello , How is the swelling today?Are you fine? Awaiting a reply from your end.Regards, ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I have not heard from you after my opinion provided.
Do you have any further queries?
Are you ok?