Dr. C.
Dr. C., M.D.
Experience:  30 years medical experience
54412793

I have small bumps on my penis foreskin, not sure if the are fordyce s

Customer Question

I have small bumps on my penis foreskin, not sure if the are fordyce spot or anything else? does not hurt or pain at all. but i have seen them increasing/decreasing over past 6 months.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board-certified physician. I can help you today. It would be most helpful to have an image. Can you attach a photo using the paperclip icon on your screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Dr.C please find the images.Thanks for your reply.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** look exactly like Fordyce spots. See how many of them have a whitish appearance? That's the material inside the glands that's visible through the thin sensitive skin. And there are really quite a few of them because the entire penis is covered in small glands. They can increase in size and number with sweaty rubbing such as masturbation, sex and exercise. It may help to wash with a soapy washcloth especially after sweaty rubbing. This gets the dead skin out from the gland pores. You may be wondering if they look like HPV but they really don't. If you want to confirm this, you can do a test at home. The way that we test for them in the office when we aren't sure by eye on exam is to apply regular white vinegar to the lesion for 2 minutes. HPV cells have a reaction with the acetic acid in the vinegar and turns the lesions bright white. This is a very distinct reaction. The HPV lesions have sharp edges and are very white. Not just a little pinkish. In the genital region, the bases of the glands will also sometimes turn slightly white so you have to be careful not to mistake that. If just the bases of the glands, it will be alot of dots all over the place. The HPV lesion is a very sharply outlined lesion that is very white, like a sheet of paper. You can try this test at home. Take a washcloth or paper towel and soak it in regular household white vinegar, place it over the area for 2 minutes. Then look at it. I hope this has been helpful and reassuring. Please reply if I can clarify anything or add more details. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Any questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr. C,Thanks a lot for replying and clarifying my doubts. I have following questions,1. I see few of these bumps in clusters? is it possible to have fodryce spot in cluster
2. does apple cider vinegar works?
3. What will be reaction of vinegar with fodryce spot? vs HPV? sorry I did not get that part?Thanks in advance!
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I noticed that too. Yes the glands can be dispersed unevenly. Also a few smaller ones may coalesce and form a larger appearing one. I saw examples of both of those in your images. I'm actually not sure if apple cider vinegar would work for sure but since it's the acetic acid in the vinegar, it should. The reaction with Fordyce spots is that there might be a very slight whitening of all the glands. With HPV, it's a very distinct white, almost like a spec of paper that can be picked off. With a reaction to the Fordyce spots (if it happens), it's a very subtle lightening but the skin still stays more pink than bright clear distinct white. These really don't look like HPV but I went into that because I anticipated that's what you might be concerned about. Anything else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks A lot Doctor....I will do this vinegar test and confirm....Thanks again for clarifying and providing details
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. I think you'll find the result reassuring. I'm glad to help and would appreciate a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Did you get a chance to run the vinegar test? I hope it turned out well. If done, please leave a rating. Otherwise, you can ask a follow-up question before rating and closing out this question. Thanks.