Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been told by derm MD that I have poison ivy. She

Customer Question

I have been told by derm MD that I have poison ivy. She prescribed oral and topical prednisone. Other MD prescribed only triamcinolone acetonide and another Rx with nystatin for groin. Which is right. I'm nervous about prednisone
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
How severe is the rash, both in distribution over the body and intensity of the reaction?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
rash on arms, itchy and penis is itchy. Arms above average, penis itch and irritation diminishing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will an answer be coming soon!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is Dr Hasan online?
I also usually favor oral steroids when poison ivy affects the penis or scrotum. Oral steroids are more potent and work more quickly. There are several reasons to consider using oral steroids. The most common reason would be a more severe reaction. However, it is also appropriate if a less severe reaction fails to respond to topical steroids or it affects important structures, such as the eyes or the penis. If the penis is only mildly affected, then topical treatment may be effective, but I usually prefer systemic treatment. It is also appropriate to consider patient preference. If you wold prefer to avoid the use of prednisone, then it is reasonable to try topical treatment first, and only use the oral steroids if the topical treatment is not sufficient.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.