Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

Just curious as to what this rash is on my inner thighs mostly

Customer Question

Just curious as to what this rash is on my inner thighs mostly but has spread. I work outside in the heat and shower twice daily just can't seem to get rid of it. It itches like hell after work and in hot water.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for requesting me - would a photograph of the affected area be possible at your convenience?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a few pictures let me know if you need better ones.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rash is mostly on my inner thighs, waistband, buttocks on down the back of my legs. Please let me know what you think it is, what to do and what might help.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the photographs - would some clearer ones with a flash be possible?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure thing one moment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are some better pics
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Thank you these are much better. Tell me do you have increased itching at bed time?Does anyone living with you have itching as well?Do you have any similar lesions on the penis?How long have you had this rash for now - does it come and go or has it been persistent since then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the itching increases at bed time, it's not as noticeable in the day time. I don't have any lesions on my penis just above and below in between my legs. My wife doesn't have any noticeable rash. I've had irritation in the past that has cleared up, mostly during the summer months. This has been getting worse for about 4-6 weeks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has also appeared lower on my legs, on my calf, and even under my arm pit. I sometimes have to shower twice daily and noticed there's a bad smell in areas I sweat a bit worse than normal body odor
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. Your s/s do not fit any one condition completely - Heat Rash, Superficial Folliculitis, Follicular Eczema, and Prurigo Simplex would all be possibilities. Luckily all of these are harmless and have more nuisance value than anything. All can be triggered or made worse by heat and sweating. In practice I would give a patient like you a short course of oral antibiotics and prescribe a mild steroid cream to be used for a few weeks along with oral antihistamines. As far as over the counter meds go I would suggest applying Sarna lotion on all affected areas followed 5 min later by Zeasorb-AF powder. Do this twice a day and take Tablet Claritin 10 mg morning and evening. Stay as cool and as dry as possible, bathe twice a day with an antibacterial soap like Dial and wear 100% cotton clothes as much as possible. All of these are available over the counter without a prescription.Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dr. Nair that really cleared some things up for me. No pun intended. I appreciate and took your advice and already got the OTC medication. Feeling better already. Once again thanks and best regaurds.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Very glad to hear that! Lets hope the problem clears up completely soon. All the best & regards.