Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

Pimples with some redness on penis helmet. What can these be?

Customer Question

I have noticed a few pimples and some redness on the helmet of my penis. There is also some "shading" of the skin and a light odor.I was afraid that it might be herpes because I have had pimples on my thighs and butt (these pimple have been there for around 10 years).I have tight foreskin and have bee using (over using) a cortisone cream for about 2 months (stopped using it a month ago).Could it be that I have a yeast infection? The pimples are small and might be difficult to see in the pictures. They disappear when I "pop them" but they are too small to extract any liquid.I am very nervous and will go to the clinic to get tested on monday.Any thoughts on what I might have?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Your s/s are not typical of any one condition but yes yeast infection would be the most likely suspect. This is a skin infection by the candida yeast and is very common and mostly caused by heat and humidity. Using Cortizone alone can actually make matters worse and allow persistence of the infection. Ideally you should see a doctor to have a skin scraping done from the affected area - this can usually confirm the diagnosis, and then appropriate prescription meds like Fluconazole can be started. If you cannot see a doctor then here is an over the counter regimen that can help:

1. 1% Clotrimazole cream: apply twice a day over the affected area for 14 days. Finish the treatment period even if the symptoms subside earlier. If the bumps are not better in 5 days or so mix the Cortizone cream you have with the Clotrimazole in a 1:1 ratio and apply twice a day for 14 days.

2. Tab Claritin 10 mg once a day for 7 days.

3. Keep the area as clean and dry as possible.

4. Zeasorb-AF powder (Clotrimazole) for dusting: i.e. apply over the genitalia and groins before wearing your undergarments. Continue for 4 weeks.

NOTE: All of the above can be bought without a prescription.

You should be fine within 2 weeks with the above regimen. In case there is insufficient improvement then you will require oral fluconazole, however this is only available on prescription.