Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

About a month ago, my BF had a big boil on his chin, it popped

Customer Question

About a month ago, my BF had a big boil on his chin, it popped and drained and was just a mess. Then a week later my daughter got one on her forehead, went to er and it was a staph infection. Then like a week after that I started getting blisters in my genital area, went to gyno and he said I have herpes! I am 55 yrs old, have had the same partner for 6 years, he has never had an outbreak... Dr. said I had antibodies in my blood but that the culture was inconclusive for herpes. NOW I have a huge boil by my vagina, just as the outbreak of the blisters was going away! I don't know what to think now. Could the blisters have been staph? We just find it hard to believe that I just cropped up with herpes after all this time. My ex was very promiscuous and Dr said I could have got it from him. Should I go have boil looked at?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.Would you be comfortable taking a picture of this boil?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes i could do that. it's really hard to take a pic down there! but here is one ... it is a large lump with a white head on it.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the photograph. This just look like Folliculitis - which is an infection of the hair follicles caused by Staph. Staph can cause blisters as well - something known as Bullous Impetigo and though the blisters are usually quite large and easily distinguished from Herpes, there can be confusion between the two sometimes. Lots of people test positive for Herpes antibodies in their blood without ever actually getting a Herpes outbreak (though such an outbreak can occur at any point in life for antibody positive people).Folliculitis responds fastest to a 5 day course of an oral antibiotic like Dicloxacillin 500 mg three times a day along with 2% Mupirocin cream twice a day for 7 days. Your doctor will be able to prescribe these for you. Also an oral anti-inflammatory like Advil 400 mg should be started once or twice a day depending on the severity of the pain or burning. You should be fine in 5-7 days once treatment is started.You can also use an antibacterial soap like Dial for bathing for a few weeks to prevent a recurrence.If you cannot see a doctor then apply Bacitracin ointment twice a day on the bumps, bathe with Dial Antibacterial soap and take Tablet Advil 400 mg twice a day after meals. All of these are available over the counter without a prescription.Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the blisters could also have been stap infection? Maybe thats why the culture was inconclusive for herpes? It was just very odd that I got this RIGHT on the heels of 2 others in the household having staph... (thinking it was herpes I mean.) Would the fact that I had a BAD case of chicken pox when I was 4 yrs old cause herpes antibodies in my blood?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning,Chicken pox is caused by a different virus (varicella virus) and not the herpes virus so they aren't related.Yes it possible the blisters were Bullous Impetigo but culture for herpes is not very sensitive - as in it may be negative despite the blisters being herpes.Kindly consider rating our interaction to enable me to get credit for my work with you. You can continue to follow up even after if required. Thank you.