Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I recently randomly developed lots of itchy bumps and

Customer Question

Hello I recently randomly developed lots of itchy bumps and spreader all over my body and now arms and a couple on my chin. It first starts off as just itchy little pink bumps them it turns into dark purple colour and some of them looks like blisters and then it turns into purple black flat surface them it scabs. I don't know what it is and it's still itching me.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you need a picture I'm more than happy to send it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's a picture
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.When did this problem start for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't even remember. I want to say about 2 weeks ago but I don't really remember. It first started with a couple on my chest I think and then boom it's like over night and it's very itchy
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. Your rash is most suggestive of Chickenpox - this is a viral infection of the skin. The other two possibilities would be a condition called PLEVA and Erythema Multiforme but these look less likely.If you can see your doctor then a 7 day course of Valacyclovir in a dose of 1000 mg thrice a day (after the diagnosis is confirmed with a Tzanck smear) will be helpful in shortening the course of the infection. The earlier this is done the better.In the meantime I would suggest taking time off work since Chickenpox is very contagious and taking Benadryl 25 mg thrice a day for the itching. Also apply calamine lotion every 4-6 hours to help soothe the lesions. Both of these are available over the counter without a prescription.Also avoid scratching the lesions at cost! This leads to depressed scars that can be permanent.Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For the two other possibilities is there any medication for that ?But for these spots I didn't get any on my legs and it's coming up a lot now very slowly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And I do not have a fever or other symptom for the chicken pox ? Is that normal ?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Yes both those other conditions have medicines for them but require considerably more time and investigations for management.
As for fever - chickenpox quite commonly presents without fever. Also chickenpox can have several atypical presentations regarding distribution, extent, and severity of rash.
Kindly consider rating our interaction to enable me to get credit for my work with you. You can continue following up even after if required. Thank you.