dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Terrible Acne... Pls Help Me!!!

Customer Question

I have a terrible acne. I've had this acne for years, after trying several products it just wouldn't clear. Sometimes it reduces, it doesn't take long before it comes back again. Honestly I will appreciate it if you can be of help to me by recommending me something to help clear this away for life. Thanks a lot!

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for asking your question. The only treatment which will clear your acne for life is Accutane. This is a Vitamin A derivative which shrinks the oil glands. Usually Accutane is given as a 4-6 month course. It can cause birth defects so pregnancy should be avoided at all costs. Although you may come across numerous side effects while perusing the internet, the vast majority of patients have an excellent result. There is total clearance in about 80%. There is some promising work using ultraviolet light combined with a liquid called Levulan. In high doses of light, the results approach the cure rate of Accutane. Unfortunately, the sunburn obtained from this treatment can be quite severe. Very recently, Dr. Rox Anderson published an article using gold nanoparticles along with laser to reach levels that might be considered a cure. I think it would be important to treat this rather aggressively if you are finding that you are scarring. Other treatments would include a Retinoid cream such as Retin A to be used at night and a Benzoyl Peroixde/Clindamycin combination such as Onexten or Acanya to be used in the morning. A vitamin complex such as Nic Azel and an antibiotic such as Doxycycline Hyclate 200 mg. twice a day, is usually very effective but does not "cure" acne. These are the best prescription treatments. If you would like me to offer an over the counter regimen, please let me know I would be happy to answer further questions.