dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I am a 68 year old woman in relatively good health. Six

Customer Question

I am a 68 year old woman in relatively good health. Six months ago, a distinct red circle the size of a quarter appeared on my skin on the front of my left leg, mid-calf. It was very pink, completely flat, and seemed to have a bit of warmth to it. It didn't
hurt and didn't itch. After a couple months, I reached down to scratch and encountered some watery bumps that broke, bled a bit then scabbed over. The concerning thing is that it doesn't heal. It was long time before the scab went away and I was left with
a flat brownish circle with some purple marks to it. Simultaneously, I developed on that same leg, around my ankle a series of itchy red bumps I attributed to bug bites. They eventually become flat, brown spots that will not fade. Then oddly, the other day,
I came in contact with something that triggered enough itchy hives on my hands that I needed to take some Benadryl. I looked down at this crazy purplish circle on my calf and suddenly it was bright red and warm again, maintaining the very same "size of a quarter"
shape. I have always been taught to fear things that do not heal. What might this be? The only other skin issue I have, no doubt unrelated, is over a bit longer time period I notice increasing numbers of these white lines that almost look like a scar from
a minor burn and are most visible on my inner forearms. Some of these white places take on a shape like the splash from a drop of water, or a spider-body and legs! We are all fearful of skin cancer when something doesn't heal. But the size of this red circle
on my shin has remained constant, and it has always been completely flat.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
do you have a pic