Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

Can I send a picture to get some advice on a bump I found on the shaft of my boyfriends pe

Customer Question

Can I send a picture to get some advice on a bump I found on the shaft of my boyfriends penis?
Have been trying to find something similar online, but every image takes you directly to herpes.
The inflammation gets worse when he touches it- and can grab the skin and feel the 'lump' in the skin (it's not hard though).
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is an image for reference....
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.
How long has he had the bump? Does it hurt or itch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only for about three days. No pain pr itching.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. This looks like either Penile Acne or Penile Folliculitis and both are harmless conditions. Penile Acne is similar to facial acne while Folliculitis is irritation or infection of a hair root - the penis does not have many active hair roots usually but does have many dormant ones which can get infected. A penile cyst would be the last possibility - again quite harmless. I see no evidence of Herpes or any other STD.
He can choose to observe this bump and it should clear on its own in 1-2 weeks time or he could try treating with Bacitracin ointment applied twice a day for 5-7 days. This is available over the counter without a prescription.
Avoid masturbation and sex till the bump is clear - not because it can get get transmitted or anything but simply because friction will irritate it.
Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.