DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Physician
55099014

My girlfriend had a cold sore on 5/19/15 and we didn't kiss

Customer Question

My girlfriend had a cold sore on 5/19/15 and we didn't kiss or engage in sexual activity for over 3 weeks. It went away in a about a week and a half and left a very tiny scar (barely noticeable tiny red blemish). A little over 3 weeks later she performed
oral sex for 5 or 6 seconds (if that) and stopped because we decided to perform quick intercourse. Is there any risk of HSV-2 from the very quick oral sex she gave to me after the cold sore healed (over 3+ weeks) and left that tiny red scar? Thank you.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
do you know she has HSV 2?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. She only has HSV1.
I checked some resources online and they indicate as long as it's healed then oral sex is ok. Is this true? It's been over 3 weeks it's no longer a cold sore but a little blemish/ scar.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
you could still get it even if it is healed. I'm sorry. The chances are much less though
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok from what I read as long as it's healed then normal kissing and oral sex could continue. She has no obvious signs and it has fully healed. I found this on your site. http://www.justanswer.com/medical/26ei5-cold-sore-scar-contagious.htmlIt's the scar (light blemish after 3 weeks of healing). I assumed as it's healed then healing means it's not present to transmit until it appears again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, she does NOT have HSV-2. She was tested. Just HSV-1. Her light scar is there which I hear is normal based on what I have read on the previous post.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
I respectfully ***** ***** that other expert
The virus "sheds" even when you don't have symptoms.
It is very unlikely to transmit it but not impossible
I would say less than 5% chance