Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have several problems. the more challenging one is what seems

Customer Question

I have several problems. the more challenging one is what seems to be a case of jock itch. however it is not responding to treatment from my doctor
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
There are a couple issues to consider in this situation.
Jock itch is a fungal infection of the skin. You do not say what treatment has already been tried, but the usual first-line treatment is one of several topical anti-fungal infections. If topical treatment is not effective, then it may help to use an oral anti-fungal, such as Diflucan/fluconazole.
However, there is another issue to consider in this situation that may mimic a fungal infection, but is a different problem, so would not respond to anti-fungals, called red scrotum syndrome. This condition is better treated with an antibiotic, rather than an anti-fungal, specifically doxycyline. It also can help to use gabapentin or pregabalin to help ease the nerves that serve the scrotum to relieve the burning sensation.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.