Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I am looking on a splinter/infection/spiderbite?

Customer Question

I am looking for advice on a splinter/infection/spiderbite? on my son's foot.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He came home from a weekend at Grandmas with a small white spot on his foot with a tiny hole in the middle, that maybe looked like a splinter hole. Over the next 3 days, it got red around the spot, and though he was able to keep active, he says his foot hurts. The white spot got a little bigger and we cut it with fingernail clippers and pus did come out, but no splinter. I notice a small brown spot to the left of the white spot and when I touch that spot he says that it hurts as well. I can't tell if this is spider bite or splinter or something else. I am attaching a recent picture. It seems to be a little infected to me and with it being the weekend, should we take him in for further eval and possible antibiotics?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Location is northeast Ohio
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also we picked him up Wednesday so this could be 2 days old, or up to 5 days old at time of picture.
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.
Do your son have any other medical problems or take any medications?
How old is your son?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
I have reviewed your photo.
As a surgeon, as well as a father of five, I'd have to say that it looks like a splinter and bit of a pus pocket.
If he is otherwise doing well (no fevers, advancing redness, significant swelling etc) you can probably just soak his foot in warm water frequently and bring things to a head.
Of course, since you are right there and I've only got a picture to look at, the safest thing (read: "that the lawyers can't fault me for saying"...) would be to have your son evaluated by a MD.
But I'd probably soak my kids foot for a bit and see how things look on Monday....
Make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS