dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have had itchy horrible rash on my scrotum years and

Customer Question

I have had itchy horrible rash on my scrotum for 20 years and nooone has ever been able to diagnose it correctly. Steroid creams, otc nothing has helped to completely obliterate it or even control it. I beleive after much research its likely atopic derm. I do also have dishydrosis when it gets humid and hot. Can you help me please?
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dishydrosis is only on my hands. I have researched it and although tmy are probably separate issues,the result is similar. Intense itchm, iiifeco.n.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Intense itch and infection is what I was trying to say. If you can help treat or cure these things up, I would be eternally grateful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.
These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.
It is 4:00 AM where I am. I will make arrangements for the phone call tomorrow ( actually later in the day).
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.
I will gave you my ideas then call you when it is convenient.
What you are suffering from is called scrotal pruritus. It usually begins with a contact dermatitis from soap, powders or clothing. Some cases begin from a yeast infection. Do not overtreat the area.
It is important not to scratch the area. Scratching leads to more scratching and you have a viscious cycle. sTry to keep your hands off the area as tempting as it might be. The itching is not caused by uncleanliness. So do not overscrub the scrotum. It robs the skin of its natural oils and replaces them with serum which causes stickiness and more itching..
Use Burow's solution.
One packet of Domeboro to 1 quart of cool wate. Apply wet cloths to the ara twice a day while lying in bed for twenty minutes (or more) for severe iltching. Ice cubes may be added to the solution to enhance the effect.
Apply Hydrocortisone ointent 1%. Get the ointment brand as it is less irritating and less likely to contain substances to which you may be allergic. Apply twice a day. If this does not help apply Lotrimin Ad cream twice a day.In case this is a yeast infection. If you consult your physician he or she should perform a fungal culture to rule out a yeast infection.
Take Benedryl 25 mg. at night.
If this does not help your physician should add Vytone cream.
Use Zeasorb AF powder before exercising and after showering.
Cleanse the area with Cerave Moisuturizing Cleanser. DO NOT OVERCLEANS.
You should sit infront of a fan and let the area dry. No scrubbing.
Retreat at the first sign of a recurrence.
I would be happy to answer further questions either here or by phone.
Just gather them up.
Thank you.