Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I haVE 2 open sores on the shaft of my penis near the head.

Customer Question

I haVE 2 open sores on the shaft of my penis near the head. Additionally, I have several little red bumps that are open sores as well, but not painfull. I've been putting neosporin on my penis and medicated gold bond powder on it as well. I'm concerned I am having my first herpes breakout. My wife had herpes but i never had a breakout from unprotected sex with her. I have heard the Herp can lay dormant and then just suprise you one day. I don't know. I also have been masturbating a lot lately and wonder if it's just chafing. If you would like, I will upload a picture. Please help! Thanks
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you can call me at(###) ###-####or facetime me using that number. my skype is hhunt09
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if you guys want to skype with me, i can sahow you the problem areas.
skype:hhunt09
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YES! a phone call will work great! what is your number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call + Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.
I'm afraid I cannot do a voice or video call but I would be happy to look at pictures of the affected area and give you my opinion if that would help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here are the images. please keep them private
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the photographs. Though Herpes would be a possibility if you noticed small blisters in the area prior to sores forming, overall Pyodermic Ulcers look more likely to me. These are small skin ulcers formed due to bacterial infection - they can form secondary to folliculitis (bacterial infection of the hair follicles) or impetigo (bacterial infection of the skin, also broadly called pyoderma). I would recommend getting your Herpes blood tests (HSV1 - IgG, IgM; HSV2 - IgG, IgM) one to make sure but as I said Pyodermic Ulcers seems more likely presently.
Since these have not improved with Neosporin you need prescription antibacterials. I would suggest something like Dicloxacillin 500 mg three times a day for 5 days along with 2% Mupirocin cream twice a day for 7 days. Even your GP/Family Physician should be able to prescribe these for you.
If you can't see a doctor at short notice I would suggest washing the affected area with an antibacterial soap like Dial while bathing and applying Bacitracin ointment twice a day on the sores till they heal (5-10 days). Both of these are available over the counter without a prescription.
Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
NOTE: Sorry about the delayed reply. Am on Asia time and was not online over the weekend. Have just seen your response.