dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I believe I've experienced my first herpes outbreak. The

Customer Question

I believe I've experienced my first herpes outbreak. The reason I believe this is because I never had a symptom previously and recently experienced what I'm pretty sure is herpes. I have a swab and blood test on the way. My question pertains to determining
if it's my first or a subsequent outbreak. The outbreak was a horrible experience...pain when urinating for over a week...itchyness and pain on my penile shaft...which turned into four very small but very visible blisters. The thing is, I've never to my recollection
had anything like this previously.... What is the likelyhood that I've been infected for a long time and just now am experiencing these severe symptoms? The reason I ask is I'm dating a nice girl I hope to have a long term relationship with, and I've informed
her and she's also being tested. While we wait I'm agonizing over what my life will be like if in fact she is negative and I'm positive. How likely is it that a individual is extremely asymptomatic and then all of a sudden has a very strong flare up?
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To be clear I'm entirely conflicted...I would never want to give her the disease...but I'm also scared of how things will go and what I'll say if I'm positive and she isn't.What likelihood is it that I went from asymptomatic to a full blown flare up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please if possible be as concise as possible...Not terms like "usually" if at all possible real numbers or your best estimate of likelihood in percentage form based on your past experiences.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally, do herpes sores move on the penis? Meaning...from outbreak to outbreak...will the location remain consistent or move?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Can you please let me know if you still have the rash and if you can post a picture of the rash for me to see.
Kind regards