DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Physician
55099014

Why has my skin on my vertex lost its dark color, I still have

Customer Question

Why has my skin on my vertex lost its dark color, I still have all my hair on my vertex and you cant notice it when my hair is longer than 1/4 but when I shave it below 1/4 inch it looks like I'm going bald? I took pics and the spaces on the sides of my scalp that have no hair still are dark and have I guess what would be called brown hair pignent but the spaces between my vertex hairs are white normal skin color. Does that mean that I'm fixing to go bald on my vertex? The density is the same but maybe some of the actual hairs on the vertex are not as thick in diameter
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
do you have a pic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just tried posting one on my phone. I don't know if it got posted. I'll try tonight when I get home if it didn't get uploaded. I shaved my head with a razor yesterday morning and the pic I just took of a blown up screen shot. One half shows the bluish black color of skin between the hairs on the side of my head and the other half shows the pinkish white color of skin between the hairs on my vertex. All the dark brown hairs are the same color though
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's the other side of the vertex
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
I think this is totally normal. It looks fine. There is some mild irritation from shaving. That is it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The color difference has been like that permanently for over 6 months though. I shaved it with the razor for the first time so I could get a better look between the hairs with my camera. Why did it change colors? Will the vertex skin color ever change back to matching the rest of my scalp? Does poor blood flow cause the skin to lose it dark color first Bedford the hairs fall out, then the hairs go next? I like to keep my hair around 1/4 to 1/2 but it looks like I'm balding on the vertex when it's that short bc of the diff in skin color
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
The only other possibility is a fungal infection. I would ask your doctor for some oral diflucan and see if that helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If its a fungal infection, why would it affect only the vertex? could there be less blood flow to the vertex so less white blood cells to fight it off? Can you also have a fungal infection on the vertex without dandruff? I haven't had dandruff in over a year.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can have a localized fungal infection. I'm not sure why it is just on the vertex. That is the only possibility. And yes you can have it without dandruff