Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Back in December I had 0.1mg of kenalog injected into two

Customer Question

Hi, back in December I had 0.1mg of kenalog injected into two fairly small hypertrophic scars I had on my hand. I pursued treatment since then with 3 fraxel laser treatments. Athough the scars have flattened and the color improved, I am now left with a lighter skin tone around the scars and they seem to be progressively getting brighter. My natural skin color is black as well, so is there any chance the pigment will return to normal. The doctor that treated me told me to expose it to sunlight and the pigment would return eventually. Is this true? What is the best option to get my skin color back to normal. Throughout the laser treatments I've used scar sheets, scar gel as well as hydroquinone in order to lighten the darkened scar. I've been ever so careful with applying the hydroquinone cream by only putting it directly on the scars. Please give me an honest answer on whether or not this issue will be permanent.
Thank you
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
yes, your skin tone will slowly get better as your doctor says over time with sun exposure.
your body will put back melanin in the skin in the area to darken your skin tone with sun exposure.
if your hypertrophic scars return, you still have options for further surgical resection and steroid injections into the scar and radiation therapy to the incision for 4-5 days to prevent the hypertrophic scars or keloid scars from coming back.
it doesn't sound like you have had radiation therapy before.