How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Nair Your Own Question
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 9184
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr. Nair is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a 19 year old male with a problem

Customer Question

Hi I'm a 19 year old male I'm worried cause I have got these puss like bumps on my genital area. I'm reading up on the Internet and it's got me scared that I have a sti or std please help
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

Would a photograph of the affected area be possible at your convenience?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't figure out how to send photo is there a email I can sent it to I'm on my phone
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
If you can transfer the photograph to your computer then the fastest way to get a picture to me is to upload it to the question box by clicking on the paper clip or tree icon in the question box toolbar. This toolbar does not display in google chrome and safari so an alternate browser may be required. You can also upload them to any free photo hosting site like picasa or photobucket and send me the link if you prefer.

Or you can email the photographs to***@******.*** with my name (For Dr Nair dermatology expert) in the subject line but they usually take a few hours to forward these to me. If you choose this option please make sure you ask for an acknowledgment from JustAnswer that they have received your mail, and let me know that you have sent it. Please note that you must send this from the same email address you registered with justanswer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Their it is hope you can help me.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Thank you but the picture is very blurred - can you try again?

Also how long have you had these bumps?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Iv had them for about 4 months maybe longer
Here a new photo
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Thank you this is much better - do the bumps itch at all?

Do you have itching anywhere else on the body?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah they do itch most of the time and they haven't spread to anywhere else on my body but they have spread down there
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. Your history and clinical picture are most suggestive of Nodular Scabies of the genital area. Neurodermatitis would be a second possibility but is less likely.

Scabies is a skin infestation with a mite (a tiny insect) and is characterized by generalized or scattered itching that is typically worse at night.

The genital area is a typical site for Scabies and in long standing cases produces bumps like you have. This is called Nodular Scabies. Since its impossible to say if the infestation is a persisting just in the genital area or other parts of the body are affected as well (there may be no itching there) it is usually required to treat the full body for Scabies.

Here is what is required as treatment:

5% Permethrin cream to be applied all over the body barring the face and scalp once now and once 7 days after the first application. The cream must be left on the body for 12 hours and then washed off.

Tab Claritin 10 mg twice a day or Benadryl 25 mg three times a day for 14-28 days.

Tab Ivermectin (Stromectol) 12 mg (if body wt>60 kgs), 9 mg (if body wt<60 kgs) - taken once now and once 7 days later (take on empty stomach).

Wash all the clothes and linen in boiling water or the hot cycle of the washing machine.

A combination steroid-antibiotic cream like Fucibet cream or Clobetasol-Gentamycin or Halobetasol-Mupirocin/Fusidic acid applied twice a day on the scrotal bumps for 2-4 weeks. If these don’t flatten out the bumps then steroid injections are the next course of action.

All the people living with you must also be treated with permethrin as advised above even if they are asymptomatic, as usually everyone is affected but only one or two people develop itching. This is very important. Not doing this is the most common cause of treatment failure in scabies.

Lastly please note that the itching of scabies can take 4 weeks to completely disappear even after successful treatment.

I would suggest seeing your doctor with my suggestions since Permethrin, Ivermectol and the steroid-antibiotic creams require a prescription. Till you can mix the Cortizone-10 ointment with Bacitracin ointment (available over the counter) and apply twice a day on the bumps and take the Claritin like I have mentioned (again available over the counter).

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Related Dermatology Questions