Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Have burning and feels like something inside my skin crawling

Customer Question

have burning and feels like something inside my skin crawling in my lower back and sholder nd arm
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
There are several issues to consider in this situation.
It is possible that there can be a skin condition involving parasites crawling in the skin, such as scabies. However, it is more typical for this to present with a rash, and the burrows in the skin may be found with close examination.
It is also possible that the symptoms are due to an irritation of the nerves, causing altered perceptions, called paresthesias. The irritation of the nerves could be due to a primary condition affecting the nerves, such as inflammation. It could be due to metabolic conditions that affect the nerves, such as diabetes, alcohol use, or vitamin B12 deficiency. It also could be due to a condition around the nerve that is pressing on the nerve, such as degenerative disc disease or arthritis.
Ultimately, it would require a proper evaluation to determine the exact cause, but it would be OK to try an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine to see if it helps until you can see your doctor.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.