Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist
Experience:  Senior Consultant MBBS DNB (DVD)
25843817

I have red raised bumps with white ring around it and it is

Customer Question

I have red raised bumps with white ring around it and it is just on both my lower legs. they don't itch, burn or hurt.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.
My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.
Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .
Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:
Do you have history of Diabetes?
Do you have history of Vitiligo in the family?
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, not that I know of.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you receive the pic of my leg so you can see what the rash looks like? It isn't itchy and it doesn't hurt so I am not sure what it is.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the photos sent and the information provided.
Did you have a recent history of travel into a forest , grass , bush area?
Do you have pets at home?
Do you have a garden in your home where you may have walked without shoes?
Are there fleas on the pet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't have pets and I don't rememeber walking through plants or grass areas recently. I just saw the red bumps with white area around them come up today and I never seen them before. Didn't know if it was a fungal infection or what is going on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I walk outside a lot and run but it is just on the sidewalk so not through bushes etc. it is just weird that the bumps don't itch or burn or anything - they just don't look good and all over my lower legs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is easier to call, my cell is(###) ###-#### ***** name is stephanie.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply.
This is not a fungal infection for sure as fungal infection does not present in this manner.Presents as a single or multiple red patches with itching.
As you can observe the red bumps are in the centre with a surrounding white area , this is a very classic sign of a reaction called papular urticaria surrounded by a white flare.
This is because of the role of a chemical called histamine which can occur due to bites of insects , plant toxins , dust mites from carpets or bed bugs or can just occur randomly.
I would suggest you continue with Claritine and apply Cortaid and Bacitracin ointment on the area twice a day for 2 weeks.
You can also use Aloevera lotion on the area once daily at night.
Please do get back to me in case of any further queries.
Do you have any further queries
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read online about tinea versicolor but not sure if that is right- I know it the weather has been humid here recently but I don't know why it would cause that
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
This is definitely not Tinea Versicolor.
The red bumps in the centre are the starting point of the lesions and the content in the red bumps ( histamine ) is causing the surrounding blanching effect( white effect )
There has to be a external source for this occurrence. It could also be dust mites that cannot be seen normally .
Do let me know if you have any further queries.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. So you think it is this even when the spots do not itch or anything? Whenever I get bug bites , it always itches of hurts. These bumps are all around my legs - both of them. But only my lower legs which is the weird thing.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your message.
Yes , I do believe that it is a papular urticaria with a white flare around the area.
You should continue to take claritine which is available over the counter once daily for 2 weeks.
You should apply Cortaid and Bacitracin ointment on the leg area twice a day for 10 days and stop.
You should adequately moisturize the skin of the legs.
The fact that it is coming on the lower legs could be of the fact that there is some source like bugs/parasites/fleas/grass/plant or carpet dust mites casuing this.
Please do leave a feedback for my opinion provided.