Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

3 days ago I was cutting a log and my finger scraped the side

Customer Question

3 days ago I was cutting a log and my finger scraped the side of the log. A flap of skin was cut from just behind the nail to almost my knuckle. It was still attached on one end. The cut looked to be about 1/8" deep. I let it bleed and I washed it for several minutes under the faucet, put the flap of skin back in place and put a bandaid on it. It hasn't been tender around the injury and doesn't appear to be infected. My question is, for this kind of injury, was it OK to put the skin back in place or should I have cut off the flap of skin and let the wound heal that way?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

As long as you washed the wound thoroughly and made sure there was no debris under the skin flap when you put it back replacing the flap is just fine. The flap serves as a natural dressing as well and the healing is slightly faster. You just need to watch out for infection and I would recommend applying an antibiotic ointment like Bacitracin twice a day on the affected area and leaving the area uncovered after 4-5 days. Till then use a band-aid and change it daily.

Bacitracin is available over the counter without a prescription.

Pleased feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.