dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I've been using a sulfa wash about a month. The first

Customer Question

I've been using a sulfa wash for acne about a month. The first time my face had some irritations I thought was because of over drying of my skin.Second time it happens again my face felt itchy, sore, and had some irrations, I've never been allergic to anything so I'm wondering I'm allergic to sulfa medication
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.
These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.
Itchiness and soreness implies that you have an allergic contact dermatitis to the product. I would recommend that you use Hydrocortisone ointment 1% twice a day, until this resolves. This is over the counter.
I would then recommend Cetphil Restoraderm Wash for cleansing. This is designed for patients with sensitive skin and you are unlikely to have problems with it.
I would be happy to answer further questions for you.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.
Most of these products combine sulfa and sulfur. It is usually the former that causes the allergy. You do not want to prolong the problem as some physicians feel that developing a topical allergy to sulfa can lead to a problem handling oral sulfa drugs. Another reason to switch face washes.