Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I have a pimple scab on my forehead, the size of a dime, that

Customer Question

I have a pimple scab on my forehead, the size of a dime, that just doesn't seem to want to fall off. It is very flat, and almost looks wrinkly, and I would say it is a pinkish red. It's been on my face for about 2 weeks. I keep moisturizing it as much as I can (neosporin & cerave lotion, and bandaid at times), so I am wondering whether that is what is making it stay on as long as it has. Should i keep it dry instead? There have been times when after I shower the scab is very thin and I thought ready to pull off but it just grows back. I just want to heal the skin underneath. You can imagine how desperate I am to get this healed. The only difference I can tell you that I've seen is that it is much less red then it was a week ago. Please let me in on the best routine to get this thing off my face as quickly as possible. Thank you so so much!
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.
Would a photograph of the affected area be possible at your convenience?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thanks for responding. Just attached an image. Took the best picture I could take. Hope it helps.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the photograph. Okay so your sore/scab actually looks like a bacterial skin infection called Impetigo to me. This typically presents with red, crusty/scabby lesions like you have and there may be one or multiple lesions. The sores enlarge without treatment and this is why the one in the photograph hasn't healed over the last 2 weeks. Impetigo responds best to prescription oral and topical antibiotics (e.g Dicloxacillin 500 mg three times a day for 5 days along with 2% Mupirocin cream twice a day on the sores for 7-10 days) and seeing your doctor for these would be the best way to go.
If you cannot see a doctor easily then I would suggest washing with a gentle soap like Dove while bathing and applying Bacitracin ointment twice a day on the affected area. If the sore looks better in 3-5 days then continue the regimen till it clears. Both Dove and Bacitracin are available over the counter without a prescription.
Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.