Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

My scalps itches and I have several large raised bumps

Customer Question

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for requesting me - would a photograph of the affected area be possible at your convenience?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Okay. How long have you had these bumps?

Do they come and go or have they been persistent since appearing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No they stay

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information. Your problem sounds like Scalp Folliculitis to me. This is an inflammation of the hair follicles most often caused due to infection with a bacteria called Staph. Factors which predispose to the condition are a greasy/oily scalp, living in polluted cities, humid climatic conditions, asymptomatic carriage of the causative bacteria, scalp irritation due to chemical hair treatments or hair dyes, and underlying conditions such as Diabetes.
Scalp Folliculitis responds best to prescription oral antibiotics, so if you can see a doctor easily then I would recommend a one week course of an antibiotic like Dicloxacillin or Cefadroxyl-Clav.
If you cannot see a doctor then here is an over the counter regimen that can help:
Wash with an antibacterial shampoo containing Selenium Sulphide - Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo is a good brand - lather on, leave for 3-5 minutes and then wash off. Do this daily for 10 days and then alternate day for 4-6 weeks. Other good shampoos are those containing cetrimide (e.g Ceanil Medicated Shampoo) or povidine-iodine (e.g Betadine-AD). After this time a gentle antibacterial shampoo - e.g Calendula based shampoos, Tea Tree oil shampoos - can be used on a daily basis to prevent recurrences as well as prevent drying out and irritating the hair/scalp.
Follow this with an apple cider vinegar (ACV) scalp soak - for this mix 1 part ACV with 1 part luke warm tap water and gently rub into the scalp and hair. Leave on for 5 minutes and then rise out. Do this daily for 7 days and then twice a week for 4-6 weeks.
Orally take Tablet Advil 400 mg twice a day (after meals) for 5-7 days and Tablet Claritin 10 mg twice a day (before meals) for 10-14 days. The first is an anti-inflammatory while the second is an antihistamine that will help with the skin itching. Both are available over the counter. Also if you can tolerate the smell take once clove of garlic daily - you can take this straight after a meal, swallowed whole with a glass of water. This is great home remedy for boosting the immune system and if it helps you then take one on a regular basis for 3-6 months or long term if you like.
Avoid hair sprays, hair colors, rough brushes/combs on the scalp and tight caps/hats.
Now if the above helps then great, if not then you can try applying tea tree oil in addition at bed time - this can irritate the scalp and should only be used on a small area as a trial before treating the whole scalp. Just pour directly on the scalp and massage in gently.
If even this does not help then seeing a doctor is a must.
Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.