Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Therei have these dark spots all over my since and i've

Customer Question

hi there
i have these dark spots all over my since and i've had them since i could recognise my name.i'm not sure what caused it. i know i had chicken pox or small pox as a child..not sure which one but it was treated with rupping of wood ash on my skin back in africa. i also went to some school in the forest where the water was really dirty and infected and it seemed to increase during that time
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
It will help if you could you attach a picture of one of these dark spots.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It keeps saying file is too large to send
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there another way to send this directly?
Thank you for the file. These are areas of local provide hyperpigmentation that likely happened along area of scarring from the chicken pox or small pox, with the small pox much more likely to do so. When these changes have been present for years, it can be very difficult to treat. A steroid cream is sometimes used early in the process because there appears to be an inflammatory process that leads to the hyperpigmentation. A retinoid, such as Retin-A, also can help. There also are a variety of procedures that can be tried, such as laser treatments, but conservative treatment with creams would be a reasonable first option. If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much.so can a get a prescription or specific medication suggestion and how to apply/get it please.and would this bleach my skin in anyway? It itches most times.I visited a hospital in my country and they call it "filaria" but I'm not sure if it's spelled "filaria or philaria but the description to this would be dark spots that itch and swell and times.it gets worse when I walk in very cold weather..I mean the itching.
Filaria is a worm infection and typically would not be present for the length of time that you describe. A steroid cream is available over the counter in most countries and will include instruction on application. We cannot prescribe medicines through this site.