Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Physician
Experience:  14 years of Family Practice Experience including most dermatology problems
13781349

I have pimple like bumps all over my body. Mainly my legs and

I have pimple like bumps all over my body. Mainly my legs and butt, but a few on my chest. They are hard and do not pop like a pimple. They are very painful and itchy. Once they start to heal the turn dark purple and form a scab. What are they???
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 11 months ago.
Hello!

It sounds potentially consistent with scabies. These tend to be more predominant in areas that you can reach with hands ... Common to find these lesions at waistline ... Groin / buttocks/ hands/ armpits/ knees ...scabies may cause discrete and may be firm , red, 0.5 cm or larger, very itchy..(.nodules may not respond well to anti-scabies treatment ).

Scabies is a tiny mite and the permethrin cream would be treatment for it but it could take a couple weeks for skin inflammation and itching to settle down folioing treatment ... This delay is often misinterpreted as a treatment failure but it may take more time ...

It certainly may be that your rash is from other cause... Is it possible for you to post pictures of rash here?? That may be helpful toward estimating your cause....

I hope this information is helpful . Let me know if you have further questions or discussion and I will be happy to get back with you!

Take care and best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

they would stay in one spot? the bumps started off really bad in the top of the crack of my butt. once i put the promethrin on it seem like it healed in the crack and moved to the cheeks of my butt.ive put the medicine on twice and it hasnt gone away. its been two weeks since i put the medicine on and ive done two applications. there are firm and warm to touch.

Hello again ,

The lesions here and the location are indeed consistent with scabies . I think that part if problem here as it often happens is that scratching these lesions may lead to some bacterial secondary infection . I would advise treating with applying Bactroban ointment ( this one is by prescription ) OR Neospirin ointment ( this one us available over the counter) twice a day to control the bacterial contamination and infection . Take Zyrtec 10mg by mouth in AM ( OTC too --- generic is certrizine ) and Bendryl 25 -50mg at bedtime -- this combination to help itching . To give more than adequate coverage of probable underlying cause use Permethrin cream 5% application from neck down to feet and LEAVE ON 8 to 12 hours!! Then wash off!! Apply second thorough treatment like this in ONE WEEK!!! ( it does not work to only apply cream to affected areas as mites may be on other parts if skin and just starting to burrow into skin!!!

If the areas show widening areas if redness then a secondary bacterial infection could be cause of that ... So watch for such problem and report back to your doctor should that occur.... An oral antibiotic such as Keflex or Cipro may help if significant secondary bacterial infection occurs . Usually minor secondary bacterial irritation of skin lesions would be taken care if by topical treatment though !!!

I hope that these added steps are helpful to you in getting these lesions of your skin cleared up soon!! Hang in there and be patient !! It is an aggravating problem especially with its tendency to cause really aggravating itching !!

Let me know if I may be if further help! I'll be gals to get back with you! If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback !! Thank you and best regards!!

Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Physician
Experience: 14 years of Family Practice Experience including most dermatology problems
Hello!

This is Dr.Anthony Bray from Justanswer.com. We spoke the other day online. Thank you for using our service ! Thank you also for your positive feedback! If you have other questions in the future then feel welcome to return! If you would like to reach me specifically then you may do that by going to my profile page on the site. This page is at ;

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-anthonybraymd/

Thank you and best regards,

Anthony Bray MD