Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

bumps and laser hair removal: 1. Bumps: I have these little

bumps and laser hair removal:
1. Bumps: I have these little "goosebump" like bumps in many places. I understand and have read what they are. My question is this: As I use Amlactin and salt scrubs (to exfoliate first), when the bumps eventually start opening so a hair can escape, does the laser hair removal then increase the odds that that specific bump may not return?

2. Timing of hair removal. I use a lightsheer duo. On second to top setting.
NOTE: I am not price sensitive. I want to decrease the overall length of time to get finished. My goal is hitting the finish line as fast as possible and do not care if it costs more.

I have 75 minutes of work needed per session every 4 weeks. I'm wondering if I should split that up to two sessions and, depending upon how long a wait each area should be, rotate accordingly to be more efficient. That way if some are 2 weeks, others are 4 weeks and others are 6 and 8, I can accommodate without delaying my overall treatments.

I'm a guy. Type 2 skin. 50. Here are the areas:

Face (three treatments so far). Grows really fast. 25% gray (I know I'll need electrolosys on some).
How long in between, and should some really fast and tough areas (chin) be more often.

Stomache/abdomin/groin (stomache/abdomin is fast growth). Groin isn't.

Upper arms (outside is on 10th treatment, and still grows. Fast growth).

Shoulders and very upper back all around the head. 6-8 treatments so far.

Back (not a lot of a hair, haven't started yet).

Butt: 6 treatments. Lots of hair. Lots of red bumps
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I will do my best to provide a useful input. I'll address your questions one by one:

bumps and laser hair removal:

Ans. Well that depends on what the goosebump like bumps are in the first place. If they are due to Keratosis Pilaris then laser hair removal will not have a significant benefit since the tendency to get the bumps is due to hyperkeratosis of the hair follicles and this is an inborn trait. Laser targets the hair follicles and decreases follicle size, thereby making thinner hair and gradually shutting down the hair making process in the follicle, but the follicle opening will always remain and this what gets plugged with dry skin leading to the bumps of Keratosis Pilaris. If on the other hand the bumps are because of Pseudofolliculitis - as in ingrown hair due to you shaving in the areas for months to years, or even without - then yes laser hair removal will have good benefit since as the new hair stops being made, the bumps will stop.

Ans. Yes this is possible and in fact done quite routinely. Hair growth speeds are different in different parts of the body and as a broad rule of thumb you are ready for your next session. For the face this can be as short as 2-3 weeks sometimes but for the body is generally 4-6 weeks. So you can take one session for the fast growing areas and one for the longer areas. But avoid more than 2 sessions a month.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)