How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. S. Attili Your Own Question
Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 5175
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr. S. Attili is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Cracked, dry, flaky skin on the glans penis

This answer was rated:

I have cracked, dry, flaky skin on the glans penis. I am a circumcised male age 33. This has been ongoing for about the past five months, but it varies in intensity. I have been checked for STIs and STDs in the past month and no issues. I had been diagnosed with syphilis in the past (two years ago), which I know has some skin related issues, but I was treated for it at that time. And this past month along with the other tests I was checked for syphilis it again and found to be not active but was treated for it again just in case. Even with that extra treatment and nothing about the skin condition on my gland penis changed and two doctors including an infectious disease doctor thought it was not that type of condition (not at all related to any STI or syphilis). Diagnosis has been general dermatitis but I don't think that's sufficient for this type of localized issue. A third doctor I saw thought it was fungal and recommended Lotrimin antifungal cream. It helped somewhat but not completely, and it doesn't seem to be helping at all now so maybe the prior improvement was just a coincidence. I have been using Aveeno colloidal oatmeal bath wash to help with dryness but it doesn't seem to change anything.
Hello, I am Dr. Venkat & am here to help you . Please note: this is general information only & doesn't substitute an in-person doctor examination.
Can you upload pictures at your convenience?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. I have to say this does look very much like a yeast infection called seborrhoeic dermatitis. This usually should respond to lotrimin cream applied along with triamcinolone cream twice a day for 3 weeks. Have you used them together for 3 weeks at least?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have not used them together. I used the triamcinolone cream for a few weeks, and then the lotrimin cream for about two weeks but not at the same time. Would that make a difference?

I think I found with the lotrimin the flaky dryness was partially alleviated but the cracks and redness seemed to worsen. When there is no moisturizer or cream on it, it has all white flakes no redness, but more scaly looking.

Is that condition common in that area? Seems like I've heard of people having seborrhoeic dermatitis on the scalp or face. I only have it on that portion of my penis. Is there another possible diagnosis? What causes it? Is there a cure or just symptom treatment?

Sorry for the delay. Yes it is quite common on the penis and the combination should make a difference. The only other possible diagnosis is a candida yeast infection, which should respond to the same treatment.
You can use a plain moisturizer like petroleum jelly 3-4 times a day in addition.
However, the condition can be recurrent and in such cases, you might have to use the topicals intermittently for 1-2 weeks to keep things under control.
If the topicals for any reason do not help, a 2 week course of Itraconazole tablets 100mg once daily should clear it up. You would need a prescription for this though, from your GP.
Do get back if you have any further questions.
Dr. S. Attili and other Dermatology Specialists are ready to help you