Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology

I have severe itching around anal opening and butt cheeks. Why?

Itching around anal opening, and on butt cheeks. Itches so bad that I have actually broken skin, and have slight scabs. I can't seem to leave it alone. In the shower I use the shaving cream plastic cap to scratch area. It has been going on for six months now. I don't know what to apply to make it stop itching, so it will heal. I itch it 3-4x daily.

Is there a rash to see?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Rash on anal opening - I don't see one. Rash on butt cheeks close to anal opening, yes, from me itching it so much and sometimes violently with something besides my fingers.

Would a photo of the area help? I have not seen a doctor for this, but 5 years ago, had the same problem and the dermatologist made me a small container of some ointment which I applied and it stopped the itching. So over a week or so it healed and the itching stopped.

Yes, please do upload a picture if you can. That would certainly help.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Photos showing my rear area. I have itched it so much that it is painful to sit sometimes. What can I apply successfully so the itching stops and my skin can heal itself?

Photo without flash

Thanks. The photo is not entirely clear but to me looks like a fungal infection. This is best treated with Lamisil cream (available OTC) twice a day for 3 weeks, along with cortisone cream. If it does not clear up in 3 weeks, I usually recommend getting a prescription from the GP for a 3 week course of Terbenafine tablets to be taken as 250 mg once daily. Hope that helps. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask! I will do everything I can, to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Before I conclude, did the second photo enforce your original answer of what I should do to take care of my problem area?

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for this picture which is certainly much clearer and is in keeping with my diagnosis of a fungal infection. So my initial answer still holds true.

Best wishes