Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
17493159

itching around anal opening, and on butt cheeks. itching so

Customer Question

itching around anal opening, and on butt cheeks. itching so bad that I have actually broke skin, and have slight scabs...I cant seem to leave it alone...in the shower I use shaving cream plastic cap to scratch area...been going on for six months now....dont know what to apply to make it stop itching, so it will heal...I itch it 3-4x daily...
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I will do my best to advise. However, please note that this does not substitute an in-person consultation with a doctor.

Is there a rash to see?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

rash on anal opening - I dont see one

rash on butt cheeks close to anal opening, yes, from me itching it so much and sometimes violently with something besides my fingers.

would a photo of the area help? I have not seen a doctor for this, but 5 years ago, had the same problem and the dermatologist made me a small container of some ointment which I applied and it stopped the itching so over a week or so, it healed and the itching stopped.

Yes, please do upload a picture if you can. That would certainly help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how do I attach an image in a reply for you?

You have a few options for sending me pictures:

1. The quickest: upload the pictures here using the upload icon in your reply/chat box. Please see this tutorial page if you don't know how. http://ww2.justanswer.com/help-expert/can-i-use-linkimage-my-answer-are-there-policies-about-file-sharing-uploads-and-removals

This option will not be available to mobile/ipad users. You can try emailing the photos to yourself (making sure you chose the largest size of the image while emailing) and access/ upload them via your computer, if you have one.

2. Upload the pictures to online photo sharing websites like Flickr/photobox/picasa web albums and paste the link here.

3. Alternatively you can email them directly toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX with the subject line 'FAO dermatology expert Dr. Sasi Attili'. Please note that you HAVE to send them from the email address you registered with on justanswer OR paste the link to your question in your email, or else the email won't be forwarded to me. Also do note though that emails might take up to 24 hours to be forwarded to me (and hence first two options preferable), though usually they are forwarded within a few hours.

I shall get back once I receive the photos. Hope to hear from you soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

photos showing my rear area..I have itched it so much that it is painful to sit sometimes, what can I apply successfully so the itching stops and my skin can heal itself?

photo without flashbuttocks photos

Expert:  replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. The photo is not entirely clear but to me looks like a fungal infection. This is best treated with Lamisil cream (available OTC) twice a day for 3 weeks, along with cortisone cream. If it does not clear up in 3 weeks, I usually recommend getting a prescription from the GP for a 3 week course of Terbenafine tablets to be taken as 250mg once daily.

Hope that helps. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to leave a negative rating, PLEASE STOP and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button, with the issue you have. I will do everything I can, to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you
Experience: MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

before I conclude, did the second photo enforce your original answer of what I should do to take care of my problem area? thank you

I am afraid I did not receive any second photo. Just received one titled 'photo without flash'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

photo 2

Thanks for this picture which is certainly much clearer and is in keeping with my diagnosis of a fungal infection. So my initial answer still holds true. Best wishes