Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology

Red itchy sore on the penis

I think I have poison ivy or something like that on my penis. It itches and there is a red sore
Hi. I will do my best to advise. However, please note that this does not substitute an in-person consultation with a doctor.
When did it start? Can you upload a picture?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it started 2 maybe 3 weeks ago, as a red, itchy spot. The reason I think it's some kind of poison is sometimes when I work in my yard, I will urinate outside, instead of having to come inside. my backyard is very private. I may have had some poison on my hands and didn't know it. I'm trying to take a picture. It is a red, itchy spot that gets better with cortisone cream, but it is difficult to keep the cream on the sore, because it rubs off on my underwear. It is not a cancre.

The pictures are a bit out of focus. Are you able to try again in brighter lighting please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2 more

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Dr. appears to be offline
Sorry. I am not offline. I am here.
Thanks for the pictures which are much better. Certainly I agree that this looks like an allergic reaction. Insect bite or poison ivy reactions can look just like this.
Can you tell me how long you have used the cortisone cream for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

at least once a day or more for the past 2 weeks

Ok. Is it any better?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it's no worse. i think the problem is that it rubs off on my underwear. i tried a bandaid one time, but that was a BIG mistake. I probably just need to apply the cream more often. I was concerned it could be an STD, but it did not look like any pictures I saw.

Ok. No it doesn't look like an STD, though herpes can produce water filled blisters like this. But they usually dry our in 2-3 weeks. Also you do not describe blisters as such. Right?
Are you able to obtain a prescription for a stronger steroid?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Correct. No blisters Do herpes blisters itch? This itches like some kind of an allergic reaction, I could ask my family doctor. I was just trying to avoid having to make an appt with him and risk him referring me to a dermatologist.

No herpes is sore, not itchy. The itch is more in keeping with an allergy.
I would suggest trying the cortisone religiously twice a day for a week. If that does not help, you could ask your family doctor for a prescription strength steroid like clobetasol propionate ointment, once a day for 1-2 weeks. That should usually clear it up.
Do keep me posted.
If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!
Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to leave a negative rating, PLEASE STOP and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button, with the issue you have. I will do everything I can, to provide you with the service you seek.
Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much :)

You are welcome