Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

can someone who visited someone with shingles, be a carrier

can someone who visited someone with shingles, be a carrier to those that they come into contact with, even though they themselves do not have shingles?

No not at all. Shingles is caused by internal reactivation of a virus which normally lives harmlessly in the nerves of the patient. This is the same virus that causes chickenpox during childhood and so nearly everyone has it. It only gets reactivated in some people resulting in shingles. Shingles is not transmitted through skin to skin contact.

So neither the person who initially comes into contact with a patient of shimgles nor any of the people he or she is subsequently exposed to are at any danger of contracting shingles.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you do have any queries please respond via the REPLY button. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so how does one catch shingles at all?

Its complicated but to simplify it:

Nearly everyone is infected with the chickenpox virus in childhood. This can occur with or without symptoms of chickenpox or an account of the chickenpox vaccine. Anyway this virus then goes to sleep in structures called nerve ganglions near the spinal cord. The body’s immunity makes sure that it does not get reactivated. When the body’s immunity weakens (because of age or other reasons) the virus can reactivate and when it does it travels down the affected nerve and reaches the skin where it causes skin blisters resulting in Shingles. Only a small portion of the body is usually affected. So to summarize the same virus caused childhood chicken pox and adult shingles.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we have people visiting tonight that saw my mom today, and now the doc thinks that my mom could possibly have shingles. We have other guests coming that are going to be visiting their pregnant daughter in law in 12 days and she is giving birth to twins. Our concern is, even though they didn't visit my mom themselves, could they be a carrier by being around the visitors to my mom? Would they be a risk to the newborns in 12 days by being around the people who visited my mom?
No not at all. None of them can contract shingles from you Mom or pass it on as carriers to the newborns who are due.