Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

What could cause bumps on area of a 30 year old male?

I have small bumps on my pubic area I am a 30 year old male. They are very small and pinkish redish in color. I also got a lump on my ball area next to my penis, it looked like a pimple at first, I tried popping it and a clear liquid came out. It is very sore. The bumps on my pubic area do not itch or hurt. Is this hair folliculitus? I have a picture or two of the areas. Don't know what to do or who to go to. Just lost my job and don't have insurance anymore. Please someone help. I do have hsv2 but it is not it, from pictures online I have seen and info about it I am sure it is not it. These bumps have been there for at least 2 months now and the lump has been there about 2-3 days.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Would it be possible to take a photograph of these bumps at your convenience?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is the lump

These are the bumps

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the photographs. The small bumps that have been persistent for 2 months are something known as Molluscum Contagiosum. The big bump that has only been there a few days is a bacterial infection of the skin known as a Furuncle.

Molluscum Contagiosum is a viral skin condition caused by a virus (Pox Virus). The mode of transmission is sexual when these bumps occur on or around the genitalia. Per se Mollusca are harmless and even without treatment go away in 6 months to 2 years.

The simplest way to deal with them would be to leave them alone if a patient is sexually inactive. However if you are it would be best to have your lesions removed by either radiofrequency, laser ablation or needle extirpation followed by TCA application. Imiquimod cream also works well and is non invasive unlike the procedures I just listed. You would need to see a doctor for all of these however, nothing over the counter works reliably.

If you are not having them removed then do not burst them since the virus can spread by auto-inoculation to the surrounding skin.

Coming to the Furuncle - I would suggest putting Bacitracin ointment on it twice a day and taking Tablet Advil 400 mg twice a day (after meals) for 5-7 days. That should help it subside and both of these are available over the counter without a prescription. However if it becomes bigger or you develop fever then you require a course of oral antibiotics and will need to see a doctor in person.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok that makes me feel alot better. Is it common for them to spread to the penis as well? I have noticed one or two on my penis. Also I noticed something where I was circumsized, not sure if it was due to the that or if it is from the hsv2? I understand you have alot of other patients but just want to be sure this is related as well. I wasnt sure about if this was what you said becuase I was told I have hair folliculitus as well, on my back and my buttocks area I get bad almost like blisters they are red and sometimes swell up bad and if popped they discharge puss and blood, have had that on my buttocks for very long time. One last question as well I noticed on either side of my thighs looks like a pimple, but when I first tried to pop it than it wouldnt, has a whitehead on it though, but when squeezed it almost seems to invert and than swells up, one has gone away and one developed on other thigh, went away and recently came back again..I can take pictures now of all I talked about to show you, I would really appreciate the help, I just want to be sure I am ok

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
Sure I'll be happy to take a look. Please upload photographs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is where I am circumsized, this is stretched

This is normal

The pimples on penis, could be same as what you said I have, not sure though, look little different

Thats the spot on my inner thigh, has gone down a little, but always is there, same on other leg, if I mess with it, it swells up, gets a white head on it, but wont pop, it did once, but little liquid clear came out than swelled up bad, was told it was hair folliculitus..sorry about spelling...I truly appreciate you taking you time lookin at this

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
You’re most welcome! I’m not exactly sure what the bumps near the head of the penis are (its hard to be sure without actually palpating these bumps) but they could either be molluscum or harmless penile bumps known as pearly penile papules. They are not because of herpes though.

The bumps on the base of the penis are Mollusca.

The spot on your thigh looks like resolving folliculitis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, awesome, well sorta lol. I really appreciate all your help, wish you lived in my area so I could come see you for check ups. So one last thing and than I will do the rating, so for all the stuff you told me, what doctor would be best to go to, to get prescribed something or to take care of these? There are alot of them and its really embarrassing.I just wasnt sure if I needed to go to a dermatologist or regular doctor, I lost my job few days ago so I will have to pay cash and cant afford a whole lot.

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
I understand. A dermatologist would be the best person to see at this point. Seeing a GP might be fruitless since he will probably refer you to a dermatologist anyways.
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok great! Thank you very much! Have a great day!!!

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.
You're most welcome! All the best & regards.