Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I have a red bump on the side of my nose that wont go away.

I have a red bump on the side of my nose that won't go away. It will bleed every once in a while and then go away for a few days before it comes back. It almost seems like a blood blister with just a thin layer of skin. I've had this for 4-5 months now and I'm not sure what to do about it?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.

Would it be possible to take a photograph of this bump at your convenience?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the photograph. Typing out an answer, be back with you shortly.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
This spot looks most like a solitary angiokeratoma. This is a harmless growth of the skin and can be treated by laser removal or freezing. Other possibilities would be a pyogenic granuloma (an abnormality of the small blood vessels of the skin) or an atypical mole. However a mole is low down on the list.

No oral or topical medicine (cream/ointment) works for any of the above. Hence I would suggest showing this to your GP or dermatologist whenever possible in the coming weeks.Till then make sire you don’t pick at it since this can cause secondary infection and apply an antibiotic ointment like Bacitracin twice a day when it is actively bleeding.This is available over the counter without a prescription.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you do have any queries please respond via the REPLY button. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your fast response! I tried to get a good picture but I don't think the picture is a good representation. There isn't really much of a "growth," which is why I describe it almost like a blister. It literally seems to be a thin layer of skin that keeps getting filled up with blood until it finally pops (which is less than 2 weeks) When it pops the skin heals and there is no noticeable growth or defect to the skin until 2-3 days later when the blood starts building up underneath the thin layer of skin again and then within 7-14 days it will pop (it will pop on it's own even if I don't mess with it)

When it pops it bleeds some, and if I squeeze it (I thought it was a pimple at first) it will bleed significantly, but as soon as I stop squeezing it will stop bleeding.

I keep thinking it will go away but it's been 5 months now. I live in a remote area and I would have to drive 3 hours to a decent medical facility so I would like to have some background knowledge before I go see a Doctor.

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
You're most welcome! In that case a pyogenic granuloma would seem most likely. This is a harmless condition comprising of dilated superficial blood vessels. Given its propensity to bleed the lesion is best removed either by electrocautery or laser.
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)